The FPS is an active Federation of geotechnical contractors dedicated to improving standards, safety, working conditions and commercial practices within the industry. We also actively engage with our supply chain through our associate membership scheme to develop strong partnerships.
Founded in 1964, the FPS has championed big improvements to working practices and safety and has been hands-on in providing training within the industry. We also wrote the original British Standards for piling and play an active role in keeping these current and UK practice at the fore within CEN.
Amongst our proudest achievements are
- Introduction of the Working Platform Certificate and the BRE 470 specification to support it
- Creation of an Apprenticeship for piling
- Creation of an NVQ Level 3 in Occupational Work Supervision
- Development of auger cleaners
- Championing of the guarding of rigs – an innovation that has been adopted as a European standard.
- Sharing of our accident and incident data to constantly improve safety
- Developing a common set of requirements for projects using digital construction methods (BIM)
Our Members collaborate to solve common issues, particularly on safety, where we seek to remove risks to site workers. We also work together to resolve technical challenges and build a better understanding of geotechnical engineering techniques.
Proactive, conscientious and expert, our Members are committed to excellence in the geotechnical industry.