The Federation of Piling Specialists (FPS) is pleased to announce that its 2021 Awards are now open for FPS Member and Associate Member submissions.
This year the event, being held Friday 15th October, at 6:30pm at the Hilton Tower Bridge Hotel in London, will be hosted by comedienne and mental health champion Ruby Wax, alongside FPS Chair Steve Hadley.
The FPS Awards is a chance to celebrate the outstanding achievements of individuals and companies of the FPS and their contribution to the Ground Engineering industry, with five categories to enter:
• Safety Innovation Award
• Technology Award
• Sustainability Award [NEW]
• Early Career Award
• Chairs’ Award
As with previous years, the Awards are free to enter, and submissions will be shortlisted by an expert judging panel who will review all applications in detail before making a final decision. The deadline for entries is Friday 3rd September 2021.
To assist you with your entry the following tips have been pulled together:
ON YOUR ENTRY
The entry should make a big point of the real-world impact of the person or innovation, as this is what consistently impresses the judges. For example, how does this individual stand out from others? What makes their contribution better or unique? What does this innovation do differently? What effect does it have? What statistics, metrics or examples can you provide to support your entry? You can use charts or images to back this up, if necessary.
• Avoid making your entry sound ‘boring’ – wow the judges – surprise them! They will have multiple entries to read and yours needs to stand out.
• Tell a story with the “wow” factor
• Aim to make an impression to avoid “so what?”
• Keep your writing clear and concise
• If someone from your company is entering the Early Career Award, consider asking them to write the entry themselves.
• Use charts and visuals if it helps make your point. Make sure that they are captioned
• Provide evidence / statistics where appropriate
• Provide metrics for success where appropriate
• Don’t over claim or hype
• Include testimonials if appropriate
• Consider including relevant challenging situations and how these were overcome
• In terms of word count, it is quality rather than quality. We would suggest between 500-1000 words (1500 maximum)
• Ensure your entry is well presented
• Get an objective third person to review your entry
• Enter more than one category if appropriate
• Check back against the criteria before you submit
HOW TO ENTER
Select your categories from above for entry. Complete the FPS application form from the link below (one form per entry) and email the completed application with any supporting evidence to Caroline Kratz at email@example.com before Friday 3rd September:
There is an information pack available too, which can be downloaded here:
https://www.fps.org.uk/content/uploads/2021/05/FPS_Awards_2021_ApplicationPack_FINAL.pdfDon’t forget the deadline for submissions is Friday 3rd September 2021 and Good Luck!